Sunday, January 9, 2011

What Happened?

First off I wanna thank everyone who sent their well wishes, thoughts and prayers my way. The outpouring of support was overwhelming.

For those of you who are curious as to what happened to me last week, here's a rundown of events. The reason I'm making a blog post about this is so I don't have to repeat it to everyone who asks me because after a while it gets exhausting. Part of my recovery is to take it easy, and this includes not talking too much.

I've been working on rebuilding Detached Sound these past few weeks with my friends Chris and Jeb from Halflit Halo. We're nearly finished at this point, just down to sanding and painting - and now patching a man-sized hole in the ceiling. In fact that's kind of the origin of the entire accident. We had recently patched some old holes in the ceiling, and on Monday I went up in the attic to install some insulation over the newly installed sheetrock. I guess I miscalculated where I was while I was up there, and leaned across a piece of sheetrock that instantly gave way. I fell 8 feet down from the attic, head first into the concrete below.

From the moment I realized I was falling until I hit the ground was almost instant. The room spun around me really fast for a few seconds, and I felt like I was still falling even though I was laying still. Once the spinning subsided, I took a deep breath and realized something wasn't right. I was sweating profusely, had trouble breathing, and there was this tremendous pain in my head. I carefully checked my pocket to see if my phone had made it through the fall, and once I discovered it was miraculously still in tact, I called 911 immediately.

I guess I had enough of my wits about me to describe to the 911 operator what had happened, where I was, and how they could find me. I've very fortunate that my phone was saved and that I was conscious, because I had been working alone in a house that's vacant and I wasn't expecting anybody to arrive for several more hours. I got off the phone with 911, called my wife, and waited for the paramedics.

Once they arrived they immediately began working on me : checking my reflexes, vision, and extremities. They put me in a neck brace and strapped me to a backboard, and the next thing I knew a team of doctors and nurses were greeting me at Chippenham Medical Center. Within moments, I was getting my first CT scan, which later revealed the extent of my injuries. I had bleeding on both sides of the brain. While the blood wasn't putting any pressure on the brain, it was surrounding it, and if the condition worsened brain surgery would be imminent.

After 8 hours in the ER, a room in the Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit at Johnston-Willis Medical Center opened, and I was transferred there via ambulance. After another CT scan, I was greeted by my family, who had driven down from NoVA to be with me. The second CT scan found the bleeds slowing and I was finally able to take off the painful neck brace I had been wearing for over 8 hours.

The first couple of days in the ICU I couldn't hold down much food or move really, but at least the morphine helped with the pain. Slowly I was starting to eat a little bit, although I was still suffering from the side-effects of head trauma: headaches, nausea, limited mobility, and pain. As the days passed I was moved out of ICU into the regular Nuero unit, where I was able to manage my pain with percocet, walk with assistance, and eat. I was discharged from JW Friday morning. It's nice to be home but I'm still on bedrest for at least another week. I have another CT scan and follow ups with the neurologist this week and we'll see what happens after that. Just taking it one day at a time.

Here's a video I took on my phone while I was in the ICU, slightly drugged up



Here's the spot where I fell
Photobucket


Here's the spot I fell from
Photobucket


And here's what I saw right before I fell, ugh
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Dude. We have kept you in our thoughts and continue to do so as you further recover. I can't tell you all the nasty scenarios we were afraid of even thinking of but we are so thankful that your injuries were no worse than they were. If you need us to do anything, even check in on your studio/house let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a ton Page, it really means a lot to us

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that your getting better. lets put 60 seconds on the clock.
    Pedro goes headfirst into all his projects.
    we can detach anything at Detached Sound.
    Look what i can doooooooooooooooo...............
    second floor: insulation, sheet rock, and one less person.
    Pedro works at break neck speed!
    the next character on Heroes: Pedro Petrelli with the power of limited flight!
    and time!!!
    thanks for playing Pedro. seriously though we love ya so be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you are home and making good recovery, do keep us posted on your updates and check-ups with the Dr. Also I told Miguel to not throw you off the roof anymore just because you are building your own studio, dam jealousy!

    Let us know if ya need anything! The guys have been sending their best wishes and prayers for you!

    Frog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for posting this. I hope you are able to continue resting and healing. You're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding to the 60 seconds of Anonymous ... "I'm okay..." and the obvious, "I've fallen and...", well you know the rest. Seriously, we are so glad that you are home and recovering. I guess, no matter what your mother told you, it wouldn't have mattered how clean your underwear was that morning... Keep healing Pedro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pedrito.
    Gracias por la detallada explicación de tu accidente.
    Gracias a Dios has superado este grave accidente y nos alegra mucho que ya estés bien.
    Besos a Sam y Olsen.
    Susana y Juan

    ReplyDelete